Job title: Process Development Manager
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: Full-Time (40 hours per week)
If you are a highly skilled individual who has experience in various engineering principles and enjoys using their technical expertise to resolve challenges, then this might be the ideal job for you. Working at our global headquarters in Bury St. Edmunds you will ensure that our current and future business needs are met and will play a leading role in maintaining our day to day regulatory excellence whilst also working on projects that drive forward the bespoke and unique nature of our business.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We overcome challenges, always looking for the better way, working together as one big team.
We think Treatt is a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Analytical Chemist
“Treatt is in that perfect sweet spot of being small enough to have a friendly and supportive community but also has the resources to have big ideas which really push the boat out in terms of creativity. There is real support for you as a person here and that’s what makes it such a great place to work. The fragrance and flavour industry and Treatt as a whole is magical!” – Barney Wells, QC Laboratory Assistant
What you’ll be doing
The main areas of responsibility for the role include vacuum distillation design and operation, solvent extraction, liquid-liquid extraction and chemical blending activities in general. The role currently has two direct reports. The role requires proven project management skills to include equipment specification and commissioning experience.
You’ll be using your technical expertise and continued professional learning to support colleagues both in the UK and globally with the following:
- Optimisation and troubleshooting of daily distillation operations based on review of process data and evaluation of laboratory results.
- Identifying opportunities that increase unit efficiency, safety, and economic return and providing process design input to these projects.
- Manage capital project budgets, schedules, equipment vendors, and installation contractors during project life cycle.
- Assist in the specification, procurement, testing and commissioning of new distillation plant and equipment including, as appropriate, new technologies - in line with the business relocation to a new purpose-built facility.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a robust Process Safety Management System
- Proactively initiate and lead cross functional continuous improvement projects.
- Develop process flow diagrams and maintain P&ID’s.
- Assist with scale up requests and management of change requests
- Perform root-cause analyses and corrective action plans as needed.
- Train others to operate and troubleshoot the science of vacuum distillation.
What we're looking for
You’ll be a Chemical Engineering Graduate with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a Chemical processing role. You’ll be an excellent communicator who uses their expertise to secure the confidence of both the internal and external stakeholders that you work with, working as a team to solve problems and manage projects. You’ll possess the ability to challenge the status quo in a professional manner and bring a high level of pride and passion to every aspect of the job, whilst demonstrating the highest level of integrity.
Computer proficiency and strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for the role as well as a NEBOSH certificate in Process Safety and IOSH Managing Safely. You will also ideally have experience of fractional distillation, molecular distillation and liquid-liquid extraction and solvent extraction and recovery. Some familiarity with Gas Chromatography and GC interpretation with blend interpretation based on GC data is also desirable for the role as well as experience working within a BRC food processing environment.
What we’ll do for you
We have a pretty impressive benefits package that’s designed to look after you and your career during your time with us. With everything from discretionary annual bonus; BUPA; pension scheme with 9% employer contribution; life assurance, group income protection, eye sight testing, free shares, as well as our mandatory training we also offer courses around personal development and wellbeing, we've got you covered.