Useful information


The easiest and most convenient means of managing a shareholding, for those who have access to the internet, is through the Signal Shares website, which is operated by the company's registrars. The website provides you with instant access to your shareholding, enabling you to access information at any time of the day or night. In addition to being able to access data such as the value of dividend payments, it enables shareholders to keep their personal details up to date at the touch of a button, elect to receive dividend payments directly to a bank account or join the DRIP.

For full details of the services available through the website and to register please visit the Signal Shares home page.

Change of Address

If you are not using the Signal Shares website you can advise the registrar of a change of address by printing and completing the change of address form and sending it to Link Asset Services at the address on the Investor Contacts page. Alternatively, you can write to them at the same address but you should include both your previous and new address and your investor code ( IVC, which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Link).

Change of Name

Notification of a change of name must be made in writing to Link Asset Services at the address on the Investor Contacts page. The notification should include full details of your old and new name and your investor code (IVC, which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Link).

You should also enclose the following:

  • Your share certificate; AND
  • An original Marriage Certificate; or
  • An original Deed Poll; or
  • A Statutory Declaration bearing both your old and new signatures.

If you are a married woman wishing to revert to your maiden name after divorce Link will require:

  • Your share certificate; AND
  • A copy of the decree absolute and marriage certificate (to confirm maiden name); or
  • A copy of the decree absolute and birth certificate if the marriage certificate is not available.

Link will process the change of name on the account and return a share certificate bearing the new name.

Death of a Shareholder

Notification of the death of a shareholder must be made in writing to Link Asset Services at the address on the Contacts page. Shares cannot be transferred to another person until the office copy of the grant of probate or letters of administration (or equivalent issued in the jurisdiction in which the shareholder lived), are sent to Link with the share certificate. The shares will be registered in the name of the legal representative of the deceased and can thereafter be transferred to the beneficiary, as detailed below in the Transferring Shares section, or sold.

If the shares are held in joint names the name of the deceased party will be removed from the register of members upon receipt by Link of a death certificate. The share certificate should also be returned to enable an amended share certificate to be issued in the name of the surviving joint holder.

If the estate of the deceased is below a certain value it is possible to use Link's small estate procedure, which is less costly. Advice in respect of the applicable limits and procedure can be sought from Link using the contact details on the Contacts page.

Transferring Shares

Shares can be transferred to another party using a Stock Transfer Form, which should be completed with the details of the transferor and transferee and signed by the transferor. Guidance on completing the form can be found with the stock transfer form link above. If stamp duty is applicable to the transfer, the form will require stamping by HMRC prior to being sent to Link Asset Services with the share certificate. Guidance on stamp duty can be found on the HMRC website.

On receipt of the executed stock transfer form and share certificate the shares will be transferred into the name of the transferee and a new share certificate issued. In the event that only some of the shares represented by the transferor's share certificate are transferred, a balancing certificate will be issued in respect of those shares retained.

Checking a Dividend Payment

If you are not using the Signal Shares Website you can check the details of a dividend payment by calling Link's Shareholder Helpline on 0871 664 0300 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras, lines are open 8.30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday). Please ensure you advise them that your shares are held in Treatt plc and have your investor code (IVC) to hand (which you will find on your share certificate, dividend vouchers or any correspondence you have received from Link).

Lost Share Certificate

If you have lost your share certificate you will need to contact Link Asset Services at the address provided on the Contacts page. Please note an administration fee will be payable in respect of lost certificates. It will be necessary complete a letter of indemnity and, where the value of the holding to which the certificate relates exceeds £100, provide financial cover to support the indemnity. Cover can be arranged independently or through Link, details in respect of which will be provided with the letter of indemnity. Where Link arrange cover the administration will be increased to reflect this.

Buying and Selling Shares

There are many easy and convenient ways to buy and sell shares, with most high street banks and building societies offering a trading service. There are also many options for trading shares online, providing broadly equivalent services, although rates of commission may vary.

As registrar of Treatt plc, Link Asset Services offer an online and telephone service to personal holders who wish to buy or sell shares in Treatt. Advance registration is not required and the service, which is quick and easy to use, allows trading at a real time price, which is advised to you at the time of your instruction. Alternatively, instructions can be given to trade at a particular price so you do not have to watch the market, whilst waiting to trade.

For further details of the service, commission rates and terms and conditions, please see Share Dealing Services section of the Link website.

Donating Shares to Charity

Occasionally, a shareholder may find themselves holding a very small number of shares which it is uneconomic to sell.

One solution is to donate them to charity through ShareGift. The shares are reregistered in the name of ShareGift which holds them until it has accumulated sufficient number of shares in a particular company to make it cost effective to sell. Proceeds from the sale of the shares are donated to UK charities.

ShareGift is a registered charity and further information can be found on the ShareGift website.

Frequently Asked Questions

This section provides you with answers to the most frequently asked questions by shareholders.

If our Investor Relations pages do not contain the information you require or you require further details on a particular subject, do not hesitate to contact the Company Secretary of Treatt plc or the company's registrars, Link Asset Services, who will be happy to assist. Contact details for both can be found on the Contacts page.

  • Where can I find the Treatt plc share price?

    Treatt plc is quoted on the London Stock Exchange and a link to the current share price can be found on the home page of the Investor Relations section of this website and on various other websites which provide investor information. The share price can also be found in the Independent newspaper.

  • When are the company's results announced?

    The company announces its interim results in May, usually around the second week, and its full year results in late November. The company releases trading updates as and when necessary.

  • Is the Half Year Report sent to shareholders?

    The half year reports can be found in the Financial Information section of this website but are not mailed to shareholders. However, if you would like to receive a hard copy of the half year report, please contact the Company Secretary, who will be happy to send you a copy.

  • What should I do if I have lost my share certificate?

    Please see the lost share certificate section of this website for further details.

  • When are dividends paid?

    The dividends section of this website provides dates of forthcoming dividends in addition to historical data.

  • Can I take my dividend in shares rather than cash?

    Yes, Treatt plc operates a Dividend Re-Investment Plan (DRIP), details of which can be found on the link.

  • Can I obtain a replacement dividend cheque?

    Replacement dividend cheques can be requested in writing from Link Asset Services, enclosing the appropriate administration fee. An administration fee is payable where the value of the original dividend cheque is over £30. Details of the appropriate fees can be obtained from Link on the telephone number provided on the Contacts page.

  • My details have changed, who do I need to advise?

    Please see the change of name or change of address sections of this website for further details.

  • What happens to shares owned by a deceased shareholder?

    Please see the death of a shareholder section of this website for details of actions required.

  • What is the chairman's role?

    The job of the Chairman is to run the Board so that it is collectively responsible for the long-term success of the Company. It is not to run the Company; that is the CEO's job. In the words of the UK Corporate Governance Code the role of Chairman is "to provide entrepreneurial leadership within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed".

    The Chairman has two reports; the Company Secretary to ensure that all relevant information is made available to the Board and to organise its business and the CEO to ensure that the Company's strategy is being delivered as agreed. The Board empowers the Executive to deliver the strategy and ensures that the Company has the right tools to do the job – people, plant, liquidity etc.

    The Chairman of Treatt is also Chair of the Nomination Committee, responsible for ensuring an effective mix of skills is represented on the Board and leading the appointment and, if necessary, the resignation of Board members.

    The Chairman must ensure that the Board remains committed to working in the best interests of the Company to promote its success and mindful of the long term consequence of its decisions on not only its shareholders but on wider stakeholders such as employees, suppliers, customers, the community and environment.

  • When is the next AGM?

    Details in respect of the AGM can be found in the AGM section of this website.

  • Why is the AGM held in the morning?

    The views of shareholders have been taken into account in setting the time of the AGM and consequently it has been moved to 10.30am to enable shareholders to travel to the meeting. The company aims to strike a balance between the opportunity for shareholders to meet and question the company's directors, the maximisation of the directors' time in attending to company business and the control of costs as a small listed company. Board and Committee meetings are held on the same day in order to ensure the most efficient use of directors' time and the minimisation of attendance costs.

  • Why, at the AGM each year, does the Company propose the same three resolutions in respect of allotment of shares, disapplication of pre-emption rights and the authority to make market purchases?

    These are standard resolutions which are found on AGM notices of most listed companies. A company is not permitted to allot new shares without the authority of its shareholders and therefore most companies seek to maintain a rolling authority, renewed annually at the AGM, which provides the Board with flexibility to allot a restricted number of shares (to a maximum of 33% of the issued share capital of the company) without having to call an EGM to seek authority from shareholders.

    Existing shareholders have a right of first refusal (pre-emption rights) over the issue of new shares by the company. This allows them to keep the proportion of their shareholding in the company intact.

    Shareholders may agree, by passing a Special Resolution requiring a 75% majority, to disapply pre-emption rights on a restricted number of shares (to a maximum of 5% of the issued share capital of the company).

    Treatt has an issued share capital of approximately 52,905,170 shares. Therefore, if both of these resolutions were passed at a general meeting, the company would have authority to allot up to 17,458,706 new shares (approximately 33% of the issued share capital). Of these new shares 7,645,258 (approximately 5% of the issued share capital) would not have pre-emption rights attached and therefore would not have to be offered to existing shareholders, but pre-emption rights would remain intact on the other 9,813,448 new shares, thereby protecting existing shareholders.

    A company is not permitted to buy its own shares without the authority of its shareholders, which is provided by the passing of a Special Resolution, requiring a 75% majority, and therefore most companies seek to maintain a rolling authority, renewed annually at the AGM, which provides the Board with flexibility to make market purchases of a restricted number of shares (to a maximum of 10% of the issued share capital of the company) without having to call an EGM to seek authority from shareholders.

    Shares which are bought are held in treasury (without voting or dividend rights) or cancelled but because the number of shares carrying voting rights and ranking for dividend is reduced the relative ownership stake of every shareholder and the earnings per share are increased.

  • I receive duplicate copies of the Report and Accounts; how do I stop this?

    Your shareholding may be held under different accounts, which can arise from inconsistencies in your name or address and you will receive mailings in respect of each account. It is possible to merge accounts to create a single shareholding. Please contact Link Asset Services for assistance in merging your accounts.

  • How do I get information directly from Treatt plc if my shares are registered in the name of a nominee?

    Beneficial owners of shares held on their behalf by a different registered holder have certain information rights in respect of the shares they own. They will have the right to ask their registered holder to nominate them to receive all non-personalised information distributed to our shareholders, in accordance with the provisions of section 146 of the Companies Act 2006.

    Should you wish to be nominated to receive information from Treatt plc directly, please contact your registered holder, who will need to notify our registrars, Link Asset Services, accordingly. Please note that, once nominated, beneficial owners of shares must continue to direct all communications regarding those shares to the registered holder of those shares rather than to our registrars or to us directly.

  • I do not own shares in Treatt plc; how can I get on the mailing list?

    You can call, email or write to the Company Secretary and request to be added to the mailing list.