Job title: Distillation Control Analyst
Reporting to: Distillation Control Team Leader
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week (06.00 - 14.00 / 13.00 - 21.00)
The objective of this role is to monitor all distillation processes and advise where necessary. To keep all processes running smoothly by troubleshooting where needed and analysing all fractions in real time as well as being the technical guide for the distillation operators, this includes troubleshooting issues and advising process improvements where relevant.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Analytical Chemist
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Baczewska, Flavour & Fragrance Developer
What you’ll be doing
The duties and tasks involve, but are not limited to, the following:
• Carry out process control analysis on distillation fractions (including GC and physical measurements) and supply production with bulking instructions.
• Monitor production distillations and give technical advice as the distillations proceed including a dedicated and ‘rapid response’ GC analysis of the fractions
• Advise on the revision of process instructions to achieve improved efficiency or safety and suggest new process instructions as required
• Research distillation records and GC/wet analysis results of manufactured products to help solve problems and identify trends
• Investigate the suitability of raw materials for their proposed purpose before a distillation has started to avoid unforeseen problems during a distillation; with a view to setting raw material guidelines/specifications
• Perform project work to focus on efficiencies, new products and processes
• Run the pilot still to investigate process improvements and issues
• Sample fresh ingredients from over the site for lab use.
• Independent analysis of materials using predominantly Gas Chromatography, HPLC, odour analysis, refractive index, optical rotation and density.
• Make up trial blends from stock, test against the specification, adjust where necessary and make final recommendations on finished bulks to the bulking and planning department.
• Contribute to continuous improvement in the Process Control Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
• Undertake a shift pattern where necessary in order to continue high level of service to internal customers
What we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who has a degree in a science-based discipline and wants to work in an environment that celebrates progress, teamwork and dedication. Candidates with experience without a degree will also be considered. Chemical-engineering experience is desirable but not essential.
You should be self-motivated with a keen interest in distillation, analytical methods and problem solving.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
Excellent package which includes basic pay; discretionary annual bonus; BUPA; pension scheme with 9% employer contribution; life assurance, group income protection, eye sight testing, free shares. As well as our mandatory training we also offer courses around personal development and wellbeing.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.