Job title: Senior Coffee Innovation Scientist
Location: Lakeland, USA
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Opportunity (General Summary)
The Senior Coffee Innovation scientist will be responsible for driving the development of new products and the reformulation of current manufacturing processes to improve quality, production and financial efficiencies in this important category. Creative and self-motivated, this role plays a key role in introducing novel ideas and techniques to the product development and commercialization process – leading directly to improved commercial results.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of just under 400 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt is a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Quality Analyst
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
• Research and develop creative and novel products - bringing them to commercial fruition.
• Utilize and maintain a range of laboratory and pilot-plant equipment (introducing new innovations where necessary) during product development.
• Identify unique raw materials for the development of products, partnering with the Procurement team to meet requirements.
• Work with the Coffee category team in the planning of innovation priorities.
• Manage category demands, providing consistent communication of category innovation efforts and commercial implications of development work.
• Participate in planning, monitoring and documentation of plant trials leading to successful commercialization of new products.
• Support the Production Supervisor to determine, define and improve production efficiencies of new and existing products.
• Participate in sensory evaluation of coffee projects, new products, reformulations, ingredient substitutions, and competitive products.
• Maintain accurate records of lab work, and documentation of used ingredients, formulation modifications and provide statistical evaluations and reports.
• Develop product and raw material specifications suitable for QA and Regulatory team.
• Research opportunities for the development and marketing of non-distillate products.
• Coordinate with Quality Assurance in scheduling the use of laboratory facilities and equipment to ensure the appropriate levels of QA testing are performed.
• Keep up to date with current worldwide coffee innovation efforts and transfer new knowledge to Treatt product lines.
• Continually explore and identify ways to tailor Treatt product lines to appeal to new markets.
• Provide both technical and non-technical articles and reports for publication.
• Cultivate sales opportunities with current customers and other industry contacts by building strong partnering relationships with key technical personnel in these organizations.
• Participate in product demonstrations as needed.
• Work with customers as needed on new product developments and reformulations.
• Present to customers, showcasing product expertise.
• Partner with sales team members to identify and analyze consumer market trends that might provide increased sales and product development opportunities.
What we’re looking for
• The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Food Science, or a related subject a plus minimum of 3-5 years lab and product development experience in a closely affiliated field, specializing in Coffee.
• You will have previous experience in a similar role, with proven experience, strong creativity, and problem-solving skills.
• You will require an in-depth understanding of fundamental chemical principles, demonstrating knowledge of regulations, policies, procedures and processes in food science and product development.
• Influential in your specialist subject of coffee, you will have an ability to build relationships across the category and wider business.
• Demonstrable superior ability to research and analize information and data to arrive at valid conclusions and plans of actions.
• you will have the ability to effectively communicate at all levels.
• You will facilitate meetings and trainings and create accurate reports as required.
• The right candidate will be self-motivated with the ability to manage your own workload as well as hit deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• A creative capacity will be essential in generating solutions to unique issues. You will be trustworthy, hold confidence and resilience when faced with challenging situations.
• We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task.
• You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
• You should be approachable, friendly, and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; vacation time as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, medical (including family cover), dental and vision coverage, AFLAC, 401k employer matching up to 6%, company-paid short term and long-term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance and stock purchase options.
With the encouragement and development, you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.