Job title: Senior Beverage Technologist
Reporting to: Applications Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
As a Senior Beverage Technologist, your role within the organisation is to provide our customers with solutions which offer a direct benefit and gain new business as a result. By collaborating with the commercial team, you will gain an understanding of the specific customer needs and be able to provide a solution which meets their requirements. You will act as a support network for the commercial team as well as aiding the development and validation of Treatt products. You will play a key role in introducing novel ideas and techniques to the Applications team – leading directly to innovative and improved beverage development to showcase our ingredients.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 350 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Peake, Applications Technologist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley Dennis, Manufacturing Support Analyst
What you’ll be doing
• Supporting health and wellness category initiatives by providing technical insights and support as necessary
• Conducting shelf life and stability studies for current and future ingredient development
• Cultivating sales opportunities with current customers and other industry contacts by building strong partnering relationships with key technical personnel in these organizations.
• Working with sensory team to conduct sensory testing and participate in taste panels and project evaluations as needed
• Supporting internal and external customers with product information and labelling.
• Accurately compounding beverage formulas, and creating complex applications
• Assisting in the evaluation of flavours in application for briefs/research projects/portfolio evaluation
• Providing support to other members of the applications team in the form of training
• Working collaboratively with global applications counterparts
• Ensuring formulations created comply with UK/EU flavour and beverage regulations
• Providing support for all types of demo requests
• Attending company and industry events independently.
• Understanding the external landscape of expertise, and use this knowledge to feed into departmental, technical, and business initiatives.
• Contributing to continuous improvement initiatives within the department
• Carrying out basic wet chemistry to analyse prototype samples
• Following change control procedures for setting up new items, amending BOMs and specifications and issuing Fast Feasibility documents and subsequent scale up processes.
• Sampling a range of ingredients from stock following health & safety procedures.
• Ensuring that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported.
• Ensuring that HACCP protocols are up to date and implemented.
• Carrying out daily checks on a rotational basis to ensure the working area is maintained to a high level.
• Writing and reviewing COSHH, Risk assessments and Standard Operating Procedures.
• Working continuously to maximise potential revenue and contribution
What we’re looking for
• Graduate Degree (BSc.) ideally in a food related degree or science
• PhD or equivalent experience in the beverage industry
• 5-10 years’ experience in a similar role. Ideally have experience in a role specifically related to sugar reduction and reformulation in the beverage sector
• Experience of handling a range of ingredients used within the F&F and FMCG industry.
• Experience of conducting COSHH assessments and Risk Assessments.
• Significant experience developing new products and implementing new technologies
• Established professional profile in the industry
• In depth knowledge of UK and EU flavour and beverage regulations
• Awareness of flavour and beverage regulations for Rest of World excl. US
• Advanced computer skills are essential
If you have a genuine passion for what you do and want to work in an environment that celebrates progress, teamwork and dedication, then you may be who we are looking for.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE earn schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development, you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a healthy work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.