Job title: R&D Chemist (Coffee specialism)
Reporting to: Director of Innovation
Location: Lakeland, FL
The R&D Chemist is responsible for the development of new products and the reformulation of current manufacturing processes to improve quality, production and financial efficiencies. Creative and self-motivated, the R&D Chemist plays a key role in introducing novel ideas and techniques to the product development and commercialization process – leading directly to improved commercial results.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Olvera, Analytical Chemist
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Peake, Flavour & Fragrance Developer
The responsibilities of this role include:
• Research and develop creative and novel products - bringing them to commercial fruition.
• Utilize and maintain a range of laboratory and pilot-plant equipment (introducing new equipment and techniques where necessary) during product development.
• Identify unique raw materials for the development of products.
• Work with the Tea and Coffee Process Specialist, Director of Innovation, Category Managers and Product Managers in the planning of R&D priorities.
• Provide Tea and Coffee Process Specialist with ongoing and consistent communication of status of R&D efforts and commercial implications of R&D work.
• Participate in planning, monitoring and documentation of plant trials leading to successful commercialization of new products.
• Support the Production Supervisor to determine, define and improve production efficiencies of new and existing products.
• Participate in sensory evaluation of R&D projects, new products, reformulations, ingredient substitutions, and competitive products.
• Maintain accurate records of lab work, and documentation of used ingredients, formulation modifications and provide statistical evaluations and reports.
• Develop product and raw material specifications suitable for QA.
• Research opportunities for the development and marketing of non-distillate products.
• Coordinate with Quality Assurance in scheduling the use of laboratory facilities and equipment to ensure the appropriate levels of R&D, application and QA testing are performed.
• Stay abreast of current, worldwide R&D efforts and transfer new knowledge to Treatt product lines.
• Continually explore and identify ways to tailor Treatt product lines to appeal to untapped markets.
• Provide both technical and non-technical articles and reports for publication.
• Cultivate sales opportunities with current customers and other industry contacts by building strong partnering relationships with key technical personnel in these organizations.
• Participate in product demonstrations as needed.
• Work with customers as needed on new product developments and reformulations.
• Partner with sales team members to identify and analyze consumer market trends that might provide increased sales and product development opportunities.
What we’re looking for
• A bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Food Science or a related subject plus a minimum of 2-5 years lab and product development experience in a closely affiliated field, specializing in Coffee.
• A proven independent worker with strong creativity and problem-solving skills.
• An in-depth understanding of fundamental chemical principles.
• Demonstrate knowledge of regulations, policies, procedures and processes in food science and product development.
• Superior ability to research and analyze information and data to arrive at valid conclusions and plans of actions.
• Effective communication skills at all levels - both orally and in writing.
• Highly skilled in the use of various laboratory equipment and methodologies. Including: Gas chromatography, mass spectrometry and other analytical measurement methods.
• Ability to use various spreadsheets, word-processing and database computer software.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task.
What we’ll do for you
Excellent package which includes basic pay, annual bonus potential, a maximum of 6% employer matching pension; group health, dental and vision insurances; company paid short-term disability, company paid long-term disability, company paid life insurance; and free stock. We also offer courses around personal development and well-being, including free gym memberships, virtual memberships and weight loss programs.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.