Job title: Quality Control Junior Analyst (US)
Reporting to: Quality Control Manager
Location: Lakeland, USA
This role is an introductory level position to the Quality Control Department, with potential to becoming a Quality Analyst. The Junior Analyst will gain familiarity in good laboratory practice, how the department operates, and how QC interact and influence other departments at Treatt. They will undergo training in classical wet analysis techniques to be able to perform the analysis of flavor and fragrance raw materials that pass through the laboratory. The Analyst will also gain an understanding of instrumental techniques used in the lab for analysis to ensure that any material that enters or leaves the site is fit for purpose.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavor and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
• Carry out initial reviews on all samples coming into the laboratory, and bulk, split, and distribute to the relevant areas/lab personnel.
• Prepare reagents and standards for routine and non-routine analysis.
• Support the maintenance of chemical and consumables inventory for all areas in the lab.
• Raise sample requests for re-testing purposes and to assess if material is suitable to return to stock.
• Help maintain QC retained sample library for organoleptic evaluation and tastings, along with retained pre-delivery samples.
• Assist with the processing of raw materials such as fruits and vegetables to evaluate quality for manufacturing purposes.
• Measure physical parameters of flavor and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources, which includes but is not exclusive to density, refractive index, optical rotation, and flash points.
• Perform classical analysis of flavor and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources (e.g., pH, peroxide values, acid values, UV spectroscopy)
• Perform general essential oil and aroma chemical analysis, but with further tests specific to the substance under analysis.
• Participate in organoleptic evaluation of the products, as necessary.
• Carry out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments.
• When necessary, arrange for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and input the results.
• Carry out day-to-day laboratory checks and housekeeping tasks, to include washing glassware and emptying the waste at the end of each day.
• Contribute to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations)
• Follow tasks and requests given by the Quality Control Supervisor or Quality Control Manager
General tasks within the department:
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Quality Control Supervisor or Quality Control Manager
• Report any faults or deficiencies in equipment or analytical practices to the Quality Control Supervisor or the Quality Control Manager
• Always maintain your own and other staff’s healthy and safety ensuring a safe working environment
• Undergo training in areas specific to Treatt PLC business as required.
• Undergo training in additional practices to those to aid the efficiency of the Quality Department as a whole.
• Perform such other tasks that may be required from time to time.
• Undertake a shift pattern where necessary to continue a high level of service to internal customers.
• Act in the best interest of Treatt always.
What we’re looking for
• The Quality Control Junior Analyst should have previous knowledge and experience with Laboratory processes. A degree in a science-based discipline, preferably with chemistry-based modules, or industry experience relevant to the role is desired.
Knowledge & Experience:
Specific training for the role will be provided by Treatt.
• Technical expertise: Familiarity with classical wet analysis and instrumental techniques preferred, but skills will be developed within the role to perform testing required on the specification of material in accordance with the standard operating procedures. Safe working practices to be adopted within the laboratory environment at all times ensuring appropriate use of PPE to prevent breaches of health and safety for yourself and colleagues. Calibration and maintenance of equipment utilised to ensure it is correctly functioning at all times and troubleshooting those issues that arise, reporting these issues to the Quality Control manager.
• Assessing and interpreting risks: Report any breaches in health and safety on the incident cards provided by the health and safety representative. Action should be made to prevent any such incidents where possible. If material fails the assigned test specification, then testing should be repeated on the sample. If persistent failure is seen, where possible a re-sample should be requested for testing before reporting all findings from the analysis.
• Business/IT Knowledge: Understanding of where the Quality Control department fits within the company alongside building and maintaining relationships with key departments. Operational knowledge of STARS for data entry on testing samples, and JDE for required applications for role. Be competent at using Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge about vulnerability/security: If required to correspond with Suppliers or Customers regarding the results of analysis, ensure that intellectual property on methodology is only shared when appropriate. Correspondence should be overseen by the Quality Control manager.
Skills & Abilities:
• Organization skills: Ensure that the laboratory is always maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that all required chemicals and reagents made in house are stocked up. Ensure that testing of material is completed before the due date assigned in STARS 100% of the time, giving priority to those samples marked as urgent. Request re-samples in sufficient time taking into account service level agreements with Manufacturing and Goods In and chase up samples if service level agreements are not met. Notify the Quality Control manager if a sample is likely to go overdue with an explanation as to why so that this information can be cascaded to internal customers.
• Leadership skills: Not required for this role. Open communication and teamwork are essential.
• Analytical thinking skills: You will have a curiosity, drive and determination to make continuous improvements in all aspects of the portfolio with a creative capacity to generate solutions. You will have the ability to grasp new concepts quickly and to assimilate and evaluate data. You must hold analytical and problem-solving skills to be able to critically evaluate information and projects, then synthesize their insights to arrive at a summary to support business demands. Look out for continuous improvement opportunities within the laboratory and share any possible proposals with the Quality Control manager.
• Communication skills: Ensure open and consistent communication with all team members. Any issues which may result in late completion of sample analysis or make you unable to complete daily tasks to be communicated to the Quality Control manager. If assistance is required to maintain service levels, it is the responsibility of the analyst to communicate this need.
• Creativity skills: Alongside day-to-day analysis, when time allows, partake in method improvement or project work as applicable. To include but not exclusively, research into new techniques and knowledge development of specific project groups.
• Integrity: Essential within a Quality Control role to ensure accurate reporting of analysis.
• People skills/relationship building: Gain an understanding of those departments with which we have key relationships-Planning, Process Control, Procurement, Manufacturing, Goods In. Ensure that all work carried out is both of the required quality, whilst also meeting the needs of internal customers where possible.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; vacation time as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, medical (including family cover), dental and vision coverage, AFLAC, 401k employer matching up to 6%, company-paid short term and long-term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance and stock purchase options.
With the encouragement and development, you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidized social events.
M/F/D/V EOE DFWP SO
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.