Job title: Quality Analyst
Reporting to: Quality Control Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
The objective of this role is to perform full analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials that pass through the Quality Control laboratory. This encompasses the classical wet analysis, instrumental analysis to assess the acceptability of the profile, and organoleptic evaluation, to ensure that any material that enters or leaves the site is fit for purpose.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Gas Chromatography analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources, to ensure the material passes specification and has a typical chromatographic profile.
• Perform Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy analysis on products to identify anomalies and establish the root cause for the presence in the products.
• Perform routine GC-FID preventative maintenance and trouble shooting.
• Monitor performance of GC-FID instrumentation to ensure it is fit for purpose.
• Prepare samples for instrumental analysis.
• Arrange for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and collate the results.
• Measure physical parameters of flavour and fragrance raw materials, which includes but is not exclusive to density, refractive index, optical rotation, melting points and flash points.
• Perform classical analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources (e.g., peroxide values, acid values, ester values).
• Perform instrumental analysis on products which includes but is not exclusive to, UV spectroscopy, and IR.
• Perform general essential oil analysis but with further tests specific to the substance under analysis.
• Participate in organoleptic evaluation of the products, as necessary.
• Prepare tasting solutions and arrange for a representative number of individuals to carry out analysis.
• Prepare reagents to the required standard for routine and non-routine analysis.
• Carry out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory.
• Assist in sample receipt to the Quality Control laboratory when required in the to maintain workflow of sample analysis to the required areas of the department.
• Carry out day to day laboratory checks and housekeeping tasks, these incudes washing up glass wear in the absence of supporting staff as well as put away clean glassware and emptying the wet bins at the end of each day.
• Contribution to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
• Follow any task and request linked to technical projects as requested by Quality Control manager.
• Assist in maintaining chemical inventory for the Quality Control laboratory and purchase any items necessary for routine analysis, liaising with other technical departments following group strategy in chemical purchasing.
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Quality Control Manager.
• Report any faults or deficiencies in equipment or analytical practices to the Quality Control Manager.
• Undergo training in areas specific to Treatt plc business as required.
• Undergo training in additional practices to those aforementioned in order to aid the efficiency of the Quality Department as a whole.
• Undertake a shift pattern where necessary in order to continue a high level of service to internal customers.
What we’re looking for
A Quality Analyst - Classical will either have a degree in a science-based discipline, preferably with chemistry-based modules, or industry experience relevant to the role. Specific training on procedures whilst being desirable is not required as full training is provided by Treatt.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE earn schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.