Job title: Quality Analyst - Analytical
Reporting to: Quality Control Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
The objective of this role is to perform analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials that pass through the Quality Control laboratory. This encompasses predominantly pesticide residue analysis of essential oils alongside instrumental analysis for other trace contaminants to ensure that products conform to required regulations and that any material that enters or leaves the site is fit for purpose.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Quality Analyst
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Agricultural Residue determination of materials utilising GCMSMS.
• Trace contaminant analysis to include but not exclusively, phthalates, antioxidants, and solvents by GCMS.
• Analysis of materials for FAME and Chiral determinations by GC-FID.
• Analysis of materials by UPLC for Acids and Furanocoumarin determination.
• Performing and assessing the routine instrument validations to ensure systems are fit for use. To include upkeep of the routine instrument validation logs.
• Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of GC, GCMS & GCMSMS instrumentation and upkeep of the instrument maintenance log.
• Preparation of standard materials required for the calibration of instruments and methods and performing the subsequent calibrations. To include upkeep of the calibration logs.
• Performing routine daily checks as prescribed to ensure the laboratory and instrumentation is in an appropriate state for work.
• Analysis of essential oil profile by GC on an ad hoc basis as required.
• Assessment of material acceptability by critiquing data generated vs sample specification as defined within STARS along with the appropriate regulations and making a recommendation regarding final disposition drawing upon the support peers as required.
• Provide support to the Customer Care team in the answering of Technical Requests as required. To include requesting samples, analysis, and the generation of the supporting reports.
• When necessary arrange for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and collate the results.
• Assist in sample receipt to the Quality Control laboratory when required in the to maintain workflow of sample analysis to the required areas of the department.
• Contribution to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
• Assist in maintaining consumables inventory for the Quality Control laboratory and purchase any items necessary for routine analysis, liaising with other technical departments following group strategy in consumable purchasing.
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Quality Control Manager.
What we’re looking for
A Quality Analyst- Analytical will either have a degree in a science-based discipline, preferably with chemistry-based modules, or industry experience relevant to the role. Specific training on procedures whilst being desirable is not required as full training is provided by Treatt.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.