Job title: Innovation Apprentice
Reporting to: Innovation Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
As an Innovation Apprentice, your role within the organisation is to gain the skills required to compound and evaluate prototype blends using natural and synthetic flavour ingredients to meet both internal and external customer requirements. You will work under the direction of the Matching and Flavourist team to provide sample blends for sensory evaluation before submitting to customers for approval. You will gain the skills required to work safely within a laboratory environment and develop a broad ingredient, product, and process knowledge as well as participate in sensory evaluations to develop organoleptic skills. You will undertake basic wet chemistry and use analytical methods to ensure prototype blends meet specifications provided by the customer.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
Once fully trained, the responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Prepare tasting solutions to evaluate the sensory profile of target samples and subsequent prototype blends
• Have an understanding of Treatt ingredients and product portfolios
• Use analytical methods including but not restricted to GC, GCMS, Dynamic and Static Headspace, HPLC, Chiral Analysis to evaluate the composition of a target sample
• Carry out basic wet chemistry to analyse prototype samples to ensure they meet the customer's specification
• Have commercial, technical, and financial awareness with an understanding of how projects impact the business
• Sample a range of ingredients from stock following health & safety procedures to ensure personal and environmental health & safety is not compromised
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported
• Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations)
• Carry out daily checks on a rotational basis to ensure the working area is maintained to a high level
• Write and review COSHH assessments
• Have a working understanding of IT systems used within the department to fulfil the role. These include JDE, STARS, SDS viewer, MADs, WERCs, Cascade, TIPPs and SharePoint
• Write and review Standard Operating Procedures and Risk Assessments
• Follow change control procedures for setting up new items, amending BOMs & Specifications and issuing Fast Feasibility documents and subsequent Scale-up processes
• Support Innovation scientists in Matching with the blending of prototype blends
• Load prototype and target samples on the GC as required
• Assist in setting up prototype samples in WERCs and use MADs system for sending samples out to customers
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate will possess: 5 GCSEs grade C or equivalent, including Maths, English and Science.
We are looking someone who is passionate about Science and who is keen to embark on an exciting career with our company. You will be a self-starter with a strong initiative and possess good organisation skills to manage a busy workload.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary, a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE earn schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.