Job title: Group Legal Counsel (Corporate)
Reporting to: Deputy Company Secretary
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 24 hours per week
This role will provide legal guidance and support to the Group of companies located in the UK, USA and China. You will build partnerships with appropriate legal advisors, taking a pragmatic and commercial approach to complex legal matters and interpreting that advice into language appropriate to the audience. Enhancing our customer and supplier reputation through exceptional service and delivery.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 450 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The duties include the following:
• Provide timely, preventive and commercially relevant legal advice on contractual, statutory and regulatory issues, in partnership with our internal specialists and external advisors.
• Lead on reviewing and, where appropriate, negotiating all commercial contracts and providing practical and commercially focussed legal advice, as well as identifying practical mitigation of key risks for the purchase of good and services.
• Build relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring a trust and confidence in the advice being given.
• Manage all claims (against and for the company) with external advisers where appropriate.
• Provide reports to the Board as required to reflect key legal matters.
• HMRC and Home Office licensing management.
• Dealing with all group property matters
• Management of the group’s insurance portfolio working with brokers on renewals, coverage and claims
• Support ongoing projects as they develop, ensuring legal impact is assessed and supported wherever required.
• Explore legal matters in the context of our industry, working with appropriate industry bodies to ensure appropriate application of law.
• Identify appropriate partners to advise on more complex legal matters.
• Managing Intellectual property as required.
What we’re looking for
• Qualified legal counsel, with 3-5 years minimum experience in role, with a strong understanding of how to appropriately apply legal frameworks in a business context.
• A commercial understanding on the application of law, being inquisitive and exploring a subject to build a solid understanding, and then applying as appropriate to the company.
• International legal experience desirable.
• Absolute attention to detail.
• An ability to identify risk, and put in place creative solutions in order to manage and control
• Excellent negotiation skills, taking a fair but firm stance.
• Ability to communicate at all levels, making law a ‘reachable’ subject for the audience.
• Methodical and organised approach, ensuring the proactive management of all legal matters.
• Demonstrable integrity, creating a protective shield around the company.
• Ability to build relationships with all service users, becoming their trusted advisor.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.