Job title: Director of Innovation
Location: Lakeland, USA
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
EEOC Class: Class 1.2
The Opportunity (General Summary)
As the Director of Innovation, you will drive all innovation related activity at our Lakeland facility. This role will join Treatt at an exciting time, with increased focus and investment driving a global innovation strategy, supporting the vision, technical direction and leadership of a dedicated team. Responsible for the design, development and maintenance of innovative and market-leading products, enabling Treatt to increase market share within existing and new markets. Excellent communication and strong leadership skills are required to ensure customer demands are met while maintaining the company’s high standards for quality and service.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of just under 400 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt is a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Quality Analyst
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
• Working within the departmental strategy to create a focussed department plan and specific objectives for the Innovation team.
• Work with counterparts in the UK to understand synergies in global Innovation, supporting change and innovative process improvement initiatives.
• Support the commercial team, to drive business success through a suite of products that deliver to customer wants and creates need through innovative solution.
• Conduct horizon scanning through organisation and industry research to identify opportunities and future threats.
• Manage day to day department activities, working with other departments to facilitate, scale up and manufacturing operations, waste management, environmental sciences, safety assurance and decommissioning.
• Implement and maintain the overall project plan and monitor the progress of projects, including ongoing status reviews.
• Facilitate and support appropriate decisions made by the team, which are focussed on the value added to the business, this includes the cessation of projects that are not commercially viable.
• Support the team in evaluating, researching, planning and conducting experiments leading to the commercialization of innovative concepts.
• Manage the team in the development and creation of products and processes which are innovative, competitive, "designed for manufacture", safe and legally/environmentally compliant.
• Take an informed approach to health and safety, ensuring no tasks are undertaken in an unsafe manner while continuously looking for safer ways to undertake risk activities.
• Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders, particularly operations and sales, to ensure products developed are feasible to manufacture and meet customer need, and services provided meet expectations.
• Provide exceptional change management support, which effectively guides the team through each phase of business growth.
• Identify and support the training needs of the department.
• Design, implement and review KPIs which are instrumental in directing activities.
• Manage the team, driving them to deliver their own successes, and supporting people to achieve their best whilst supporting their wider needs.
• Support the development of the commercial acumen of the team, enabling focus on profitability and ROI in relation to all processes and product ranges.
• Continually explore opportunities to modernize the laboratory working practices, utilizing technology led automation wherever possible, and initiating appropriate teams to deliver.
• Manage budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure
What we’re looking for
The successful candidate will have a Masters degree or PhD in a science-based discipline (preferably Chemistry) or someone who has a scientific background and/or relevant extensive equivalent technical experience. Relevant industry experience specifically in speciality chemicals / flavour and fragrance will be required, or experience in Food or beverage industry.
You will have previous experience in a similar role, or this will be considered the ‘next natural step’. A natural leader, you will have a good previous track record of delivering to strategies and executing successful business plans. You will be able to demonstrate excellent leadership skills, providing a supportive, results focused leadership, and deliver a cohesive and collaborative high performing team.
The right candidate will be self-motivated with the ability to manage your own workload as well as hit deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrating a strong business acumen to provide sound judgement, you will be a confident decision maker.
You will demonstrate excellent communication skills, with an ability to establish and maintain effective communication with peers and senior management. You will hold presentations, facilitate meetings and trainings, and create accurate reports as required.
A creative capacity will be essential in generating solutions to unique issues. You will be trustworthy, hold confidence and resilience when faced with challenging situations.
You will possess a desire to deliver a quality end user experience, and demonstrate experience of building relationships to earn trust, respect, credibility with productive interactions. The right candidate will possess excellent Project Management skills.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
You should be approachable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; vacation time as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, medical (including family cover), dental and vision coverage, AFLAC, 401k employer matching up to 6%, company-paid short term and long term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance and stock purchase options.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.