Job title: Coffee Process Development Specialist
Reporting to: Coffee Category Team
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
The Coffee Process Development Specialist will initially be responsible for ensuring the validation and safety of all products with the coffee category. As the role develops, we anticipate that this role will become increasingly more involved in the development of new products and matching samples, to provide an extensive range of products to our customers. This role will develop new procedures, controls, and utilise their use expertise to train others in this specialism. Persistent, creative and self-motivated, this role plays a key role in building our capability, opening the door to new customers, and commercializing our success in the range.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 400 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Quality Analyst
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Establish and support a validation function, that ensures quality expectations can be met.
• Work in partnership with the quality and regulatory functions to ensure all processes are compliant.
• Utilise product expertise to ensure we are meeting customer requirements, leveraging knowledge to meet those needs through influence of procurement, selection, roasting, extraction and blending processes to meet customer expectations
• Consider and effect the influence of process variations and how they impact the product range
• Work within the regulatory landscape, ensuring compliance and quality expectations are met
• Work with a range of laboratory and pilot-plant equipment (introducing new innovations where necessary) during product development.
• Utilise sensory expertise to create solutions for our customers, exciting our customers with your knowledge of the range.
• Provide training for colleagues on the specialism of coffee.
• Support procurement to identify potential new sources of raw materials for the development of products for customer briefs.
• Work with the Coffee category team in the planning of product priorities.
• Support category demands in the UK, providing consistent communication to update the business
• Participate in planning, monitoring and documentation of trials leading to successful commercialization of new products.
• Support the Extraction Manager to determine, define and improve production efficiencies of new and existing products.
• Participate in sensory evaluation of coffee projects, new products, reformulations, ingredient substitutions, and competitive products.
• Maintain accurate records of lab work, and documentation of used ingredients, formulation modifications and provide statistical evaluations and reports.
• Develop product and raw material specifications suitable for QA and Regulatory team.
• Keep up to date with current worldwide coffee innovation efforts and transfer new knowledge to Treatt product lines.
• Cultivate sales opportunities with current customers and other industry contacts by building strong partnering relationships with key technical personnel in these organizations.
• Participate in product demonstrations as needed, supporting the sales cycle.
• Work with customers as needed on new product developments and reformulations.
• Present to customers, showcasing product expertise.
• Partner with sales team members to identify and analyze consumer market trends that might provide increased sales and product development opportunities.
• Utilise existing skills to enhance our range, providing innovative techniques to increase our customer offering
• Continually explore and identify ways to tailor Treatt product lines to appeal to new markets.
What we’re looking for
• A Degree in Chemistry, Food Science or a related subject plus a minimum of 3-5 years lab and product development experience in a closely affiliated field, specialising in Coffee.
• A proven independent worker with strong creativity and problem-solving skills.
• An in-depth understanding of fundamental chemical principles.
• Demonstrate knowledge of regulations, policies, procedures and processes in food science and product development.
• Influential in the category, with an ability to build relationships across the category and wider business.
• Superior ability to analyze information and data to arrive at valid conclusions and solutions.
• Effective communication skills at all levels - both verbally and in writing.
• Highly skilled in the use of various laboratory equipment and methodologies. Including: Gas chromatography, mass spectrometry and other analytical measurement methods.
• Ability to use various spreadsheets, word-processing and database computer software.
• Willingness to support the sales process, both in presentation skills, building relationships and willingness to travel
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary, generous pension savings, share schemes, bonus (up to 18%), private medical care, flexible working, family friendly policies, social activity, wellbeing resources and support programme (including employee assistance helpline and face to face counselling), free annual health check (via current provider Aviva), online GP service, training and development, Holiday Purchase Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Tech Benefits Scheme, Eye tests, and most importantly a great team of colleagues.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.