Job title: Senior Analytical Innovation Scientist
Reporting to: Global Analytical Innovation Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
As a Senior Analytical Innovation Scientist, you will provide scientific expertise to our internal Technical Teams covering current and new analytical research and development. Collaborating with the Technical leadership Team and others in Validation to introduce the best industry methods, you will actively seek innovative approaches to improve the analytical capabilities of the Validation Department, achieving the growth objectives for Treatt.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Actively investigate and where appropriate implement technologies that are new to Treatt with a view to developing new, innovative processes
• Actively seek creative approaches to improve the performance of the analytical in accordance with regulations and new site requirements.
• Review new Analytical instrumentation with a view to improved efficiency and automation
• Study the chemistry of contaminants and metabolites seen within essential oils and flavour or fragrance materials
• Determine the key authenticity marker compounds for the analysis of essential oils and natural flavour molecules
• Develop a method of analyses for these key marker compounds together with appropriate acceptable ranges
• Support all Analytical method development as required to support the business need
• Propose and develop new methodologies required to support New Product Development at Treatt
• Deliver technical training on new analytical technologies as required
• Specify validation protocols and validate all new and existing analytical methods
• Review the Bipea Proficiency testing programme and associated reports with the aim of promoting and supporting continuous improvement
• Statistical data evaluation of new and existing analytical methods
• Attend international scientific events and produce technology watch sheets for interesting technological advancements
• Write Quality Policies, Procedures and Operating Instructions.
• Undergo training in areas specific to Treatt plc business as required.
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Line Manager or H&S Officer
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate will have :
• a degree in a science related discipline
• a full UK driving license and a full valid Passport
• a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a method development chemist
• significant experience in working with GC-FID, HPLC, GC/MS, GC/MSMS and LC/MSMS
• some experience with SPME, headspace, olfactometry and spectroscopy
• strong knowledge of analytical disciplines, methods, developments and troubleshooting.
• strong organisational skills with the ability to take initiative, manage changing priorities and work independently
• significant experience in data collection, extraction and analysis with strong analytical, problem-solving and research skills
• a passion for keeping up to date with relevant scientific and technological developments
• the capability to organize and prioritize with a strong eye for detail
• exceptional ability to communicate complex issues in clear, concise language both verbally and in writing
• excellent interpersonal and relationship skills with the ability to influence teams and colleagues
• an ownership mentality with the aptitude to work independently as required
• ability to find creative and positive ways to get the right people together who can make true differences in all aspects of the portfolio
• a Commercial mindset
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE earn schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.