Job title: Quality Control Analyst (US)
Reporting to: Quality Control Supervisor
Location: Lakeland, USA
Hours: 40 hours per week
The Opportunity (General Summary)
The objective of this role is to perform full analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials that pass through the Quality Control laboratory. This encompasses the classical wet analysis, instrumental analysis to assess the acceptability of the profile, and organoleptic evaluation, to ensure that any material that enters or leaves the site is fit for purpose.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
• Measure physical parameters of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources, which includes but is not exclusive to density, refractive index, optical rotation, %Aldehyde, and Peroxide values.
• Perform instrumental analysis on the above products which includes but is not exclusive to, UV spectroscopy, gas and liquid chromatography, and gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy.
• Perform general essential oil analysis but with further tests specific to the substance under analysis.
• Participate in organoleptic evaluation of the products, as necessary.
• Prepare tasting solutions and arrange for a representative number of individuals to carry out analysis.
• Prepare reagents to the required standard for routine and non-routine analysis.
• Carry out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory.
• Perform internal microbiological testing.
• When necessary communicate to supervision for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and collate the results.
• Assist in sample receipt to the Quality Control laboratory when required in the to maintain workflow of sample analysis to the required areas of the department.
• Carry out day to day laboratory checks and housekeeping tasks, these includes washing up glass and emptying the waste at the end of each day.
• Contribution to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
• Follow any task and request as requested by Quality Control Supervisor or Quality Control manager.
General tasks within the department:
• Assist Quality Control Supervisor in maintaining chemical inventory for the Quality Control laboratory and in the purchase of any items necessary for routine analysis.
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Quality Control Supervisor or Quality Control Manager.
• Report any faults or deficiencies in equipment or analytical practices to the Quality Control Supervisor or the Quality Control Manager.
• Always maintain your own and other staff’s healthy and safety ensuring a safe working environment.
• Undergo training in areas specific to Treatt PLC business as required.
• Undergo training in additional practices to those to aid the efficiency of the Quality Department as a whole.
• Perform such other tasks that may be required from time to time.
• Undertake a shift pattern where necessary to continue a high level of service to internal customers.
What we’re looking for
A Quality Control Analyst will either have a degree in a science-based discipline, preferably with chemistry-based modules, or industry experience relevant to the role. Specific training on procedures whilst being desirable is not required as full training is provided by Treatt.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; vacation time as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, medical (including family cover), dental and vision coverage, AFLAC, 401k employer matching up to 6%, company-paid short term and long term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance and stock purchase options.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
M/F/D/V EOE DFWP SO
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.