Job title: Innovation Scientist
Reporting to: Innovation Project Manager
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
As an innovation Scientist, your role within the organisation is to provide our customers with solutions which offer a direct benefit and gain new business as a result. By collaborating with commercial, you will gain an understanding of the specific customer needs and be able to provide a solution which meets their requirements. You will aim to improve contribution or make efficiencies on existing products and/or processes. This can be completed by value engineering existing products, recover revenue from waste streams, reducing process steps or implementing new technologies to make existing products.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to :
• Create prototype blends to meet the requirements of customers based on composition, organoleptic assessment, quality, and cost requirements
• Prepare tasting solutions to evaluate the sensory profile of target samples and subsequent prototype blends
• Have an understanding of Treatt ingredients and product portfolios
• Have an understanding of Treatt USA working practices
• Collaborate in Global and cross-functional projects
• Use analytical methods including but not restricted to GC, GCMS, Dynamic and Static Headspace, HPLC, Chiral Analysis to evaluate the composition of a target sample
• Carry out basic wet chemistry to analyse prototype samples to ensure they meet the customer's specification
• Have an understanding of Pilot Plant equipment and is able to complete processes unaided
• Have commercial, technical, and financial awareness with an understanding of how projects impact the business
• Sample a range of ingredients from stock following health & safety procedures to ensure personal and environmental health & safety is not compromised
• Carry out the development of new products which may have the potential to become commercial items
• Carry out the development of new flavour & fragrance ingredients which may have the potential to become CTB (Creative Toolbox) ingredients
• Design, scope, and carry out projects within Innovation, providing regular documented updates
• Take ownership of scale-up and validation of Innovation projects to ensure a seamless transfer to manufacturing and quality systems
• To suggest new avenues of research with a view to commercialisation
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported
• Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations)
• Carry out daily checks on a rotational basis to ensure the working area is maintained to a high level
• Write and review COSHH assessments
• Have a working understanding of IT systems used within the department to fulfil the role. These include JDE, STARS, SDS viewer, MADs, WERCs, Cascade, TIPPs and SharePoint
• Write and review Standard Operating Procedures and Risk Assessments
• Follow change control procedures for setting up new items, amending BOMs & Specifications and issuing Fast Feasibility documents and subsequent Scale-up processes
• Attend sales meetings to gain and share information with the team
• Learn and characterise the tonalities of the Treatt citrus portfolio
• Learn and characterise the tonalities of the CTB (Creative Toolbox)
• Identify gaps in the CTB and collaborate with Innovation Scientists to fill them
• Collaborate with Applications to work on customer briefs which require new flavour/ingredient creation
• Support business development managers with customer enquiries
• Keep up to date on the current market flavour trends and competitor products to suggest areas for new product development
• Conduct ongoing literature research on flavour ingredients and reaction chemistry
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Ideally a degree within a scientific field, preferably chemistry.
• 2 Years’ experience in a similar role
• Previous experience of working in a laboratory Technician role with an understanding of good laboratory practice
• Proven experience of handling a range of chemicals used within the F&F industry.
• Advantageous to have experience of conducting COSHH assessments and Risk Assessments.
• Advantageous to have experience of Analytical and Wet chemistry using a range of testing techniques
• Basic computer skills are essential
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; a generous holiday entitlement as well as the opportunity to purchase additional holiday, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, BUPA, pension scheme with 9% employer contribution, life assurance, group income protection, SAYE earn schemes and free shares.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.