Location: Lakeland, USA
The R&D Scientist will be responsible for the development, reformulation, stability, and scale-up capacity across multiple categories including citrus oils, alcohol extracts, water-based distillates, tea extracts, and aroma chemicals. This role will actively work with current manufacturing processes to improve quality, production and financial efficiencies, along with the development of analytical technology and procedures. The R&D Chemist needs to be creative and self-motivated, playing a key role in introducing novel ideas and techniques to the product development process – leading directly to improved commercial success.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
• Research and develop creative and novel products - bringing them to commercial fruition.
• Identify unique raw materials for the development of new products.
• Utilize and maintain a range of laboratory equipment (introducing new equipment and techniques where necessary) during product development.
• Ability to optimize formulations to achieve production and financial efficiencies for new and existing products.
• Maintain accurate records of lab work, documentation of used ingredients, formulation modifications and provide statistical evaluations and reports.
• Experience in managing stability, shelf-life and extended shelf-life studies.
• Provide Director of Innovation with clear and consistent communication of status of R&D efforts and commercial implications of R&D work.
• Participate in planning, monitoring and documentation of plant trials leading to successful commercialization of new products.
• Participate in sensory evaluation of R&D projects, new raw materials, reformulations, ingredient substitutions, and competitive products.
• Cultivate sales opportunities with current customers and other industry contacts by building strong partnering relationships with key technical personnel in these organizations.
• Ability to seek new vendors for alternate raw materials and develop raw material specifications suitable for QC and customer expectations.
• Lead internal and external product demonstrations as needed.
• Collaborate with global technical teams and transfer new knowledge of Treatt product lines.
• Continually explore and identify industry trends and apply ways to enhance Treatt’s capabilities to appeal to new and untapped markets.
• Strong understanding of HAACP, GMPs, and FDA regulations.
• Interact and communicate effectively across all layers of the organization.
What we’re looking for
Experience in the following areas (training will be provided but a competent understanding of these is required):
A bachelor’s degree in chemistry, food science, or a related subject plus a minimum of 2-5 years lab and product development experience in a closely affiliated field.
• Proven track record of success within the flavour & fragrance and/or the food & beverage industry.
• A proven independent worker and team player with strong creativity and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrate knowledge of regulations, policies, procedures, and processes in food science and product development.
• Superior ability to research and analyse data to arrive at valid conclusions and plans of actions.
• Effective communication skills at all levels - both orally and in writing.
• Highly skilled in the use of various laboratory equipment and methodologies.
Including: gas chromatography, mass spectrometry and other analytical measurement methods.
• Ability to use various spreadsheets, word-processing and database computer software.
• Ability to work within established processes and offer necessary optimizations to process.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with
colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
Excellent package which includes basic pay and discretionary annual bonus.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.