Job title: Quality Analyst - Classical
Reporting to: Quality Team Leader - Classical
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: Full-Time (40 hours per week)
If you’re a completer finisher with a great eye for detail and an interest in chemistry this could be the ideal job for you.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Analytical chemist
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Baczewska, Flavour & Fragrance Developer
What you’ll be doing
After training you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Measure physical parameters of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources, which includes but is not exclusive to density, refractive index, optical rotation, melting points and flash points.
- Perform classical analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources (e.g. peroxide values, acid values, ester values).
- Perform instrumental analysis on the above products which includes but is not exclusive to, UV spectroscopy, IR, gas and liquid chromatography and gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy.
- Perform general essential oil analysis but with further tests specific to the substance under analysis.
- Participate in organoleptic evaluation of the products as necessary.
- Prepare tasting solutions and arrange for a representative number of individuals to carry out analysis.
- Prepare reagents to the required standard for routine and non-routine analysis.
- Carry out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory.
- When necessary arrange for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and collate the results.
- Assist in sample receipt to the QC laboratory when required to maintain work flow of sample analysis to the required areas of the department.
- Carry out day to day laboratory checks and housekeeping tasks, these incudes washing up glass wear in the absence of supporting staff as well as put away clean glassware, and emptying the wet bins at the end of each day.
- Contribution to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
- Follow any task and request linked to technical projects as requested by Quality Team Leader or Global Quality Control Manager.
- Assist in maintaining chemical inventory for the QC laboratory and purchase any items necessary for routine analysis, liaising with other technical departments following group strategy in chemical purchasing.
- Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Quality Team Leader.
- Report any faults or deficiencies in equipment or analytical practices to the Quality Team Leader.
- Maintain your own and other staff’s healthy and safety at all times ensuring a safe working environment.
- Undergo training in areas specific to Treatt plc business as required.
- Undergo training in additional practices to those aforementioned in order to aid the efficiency of the Quality Department as a whole.
- Perform such other tasks that may be required from time to time.
- Undertake a shift pattern where necessary in order to continue a high level of service to internal customers.
- Act in the best interest of Treatt PLC at all times.
What we're looking for
We are looking for someone who has a degree in science based discipline, ideally Chemistry or with a minimum of an organic chemistry module. Experience of working within a laboratory environment would be a distinct advantage. You will also have previous experience GC, GC-MS, and HPLC, calibration of balances & pipettes and preparation of Analytical Standards.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
Excellent package which includes basic pay; discretionary annual bonus; BUPA; pension scheme with 9% employer contribution; life assurance, group income protection, eye sight testing, free shares. As well as our mandatory training we also offer courses around personal development and wellbeing.