Job title: PROCESS INNOVATION SCIENTIST
Reporting to: TECHNICAL CATEGORY PROCESS INNOVATION MANAGER
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
The objective of the role is to improve contribution or make efficiencies on existing products or processes. This can be completed by value engineering existing products, recover revenue from waste streams, reducing processes steps or implementing new technologies to make existing products.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Quality Analyst
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Baczewska, Applications Technologist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley Dennis, Manufacturing Support Analyst
What you’ll be doing
• Work on projects that contribute to improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations.
• Create prototype blends usually 20g with a view to analysing and testing against existing specifications.
• Prepare tasting solutions in order to evaluate the sensory profile of target samples and subsequent prototypes.
• Have a limited understanding of Treatt ingredients and product portfolios, including manufacturing processes.
• Use established analytical methods including GC & GCMS/MS, to evaluate the composition of a target sample against you prototype.
• Carry out basic wet chemistry to analyse prototype samples to ensure they meet the specification.
• Sample a range of ingredients from stock following health & safety procedures to ensure personal and environment health & safety is not compromised.
• Ensure that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported.
• Be able to monitor small scale distillations with supervision.
• Carryout daily checks on a rotational basis to ensure the working area is maintained to a high level.
• Write and review COSHH assessments.
• Have a basic understanding of IT systems used within the department to fulfil the role. These include JDE, STARS, SDS viewer, MADs, WERCs, Cascade, TIPPs and SharePoint.
• Write & review Standard Operating Procedures and Risk Assessment.
• Follow change control procedures for setting up new items, amending BOMs and specifications.
• Participate in scale up meetings relevant to your project.
What we’re looking for
• Ideally a degree in a science related discipline or significant experience in a science related industry
• Previous experience of working in a laboratory Technician role with an understanding of good laboratory practice
• Previous experience of using fractional distillation or similar separation techniques.
• Proven experience of handling a range of chemicals used within the F&F industry.
• Advantageous to have experience of conducting COSHH assessments and Risk Assessments.
• Advantageous to have experience of Analytical and Wet chemistry using a range of testing techniques
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; bonus scheme; a generous holiday entitlement with the opportunity to purchase additional holiday.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.