Job title: Fruit and Vegetable Buyer
Reporting to: Global Procurement Manager
Location: Lakeland, USA
This post holder will drive the implementation of the procurement strategy for purchased products within their remit, supporting the global department and championing teamwork. Identifying new suppliers, developing cost-reduction initiatives, increasing efficiencies, and mitigating risk from a supply perspective are integral to this role. There must be focus on sourcing from a global supply base, developing new and existing supplier relationships and ensuring sustainable and ethical supply of key raw materials. Regular and proactive communication with all stakeholders, suppliers and key contacts within the supply chain will be essential. Providing real time market updates as well as market intelligence and proactive, innovative solutions to supply challenges and risks are an integral part of this position.
This role will focus on managing all key aspects of the supply chain from origin to contract negotiation, to material receipt, to stock, ensuring continuity of supply of key raw materials to the business. There will be substantial collaboration with external relationships to foster along with a range of internal functions including, but not limited to, Procurement, QC, Planning, Logistics, Operations, and the Commercial Team (Marketing, Category Management and Sales).
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavor and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita, Innovation Scientist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley, Distillation Control Team Leader
“Treatt creates an environment to help you be the best you can, with no two days the same and opportunities always available to help you learn and develop. The people and the culture create a fantastic company to be part of” – Rebecca, Commercial Coordinator
What you’ll be doing
The duties and tasks involve the following:
• Develop, manage, and implement sourcing strategies.
• Maintain a high level of internal and external service provision.
• Full procurement cycle responsibility and autonomy for sourcing of materials.
• Actively contribute to in-depth spend analysis and market analysis on targeted areas of spend, and across categories.
• Investigate and implement ways of reducing cost by way of alternative supplier sourcing, increasing payment terms, driving supply chain efficiencies and /or negotiating better prices.
• Maintain awareness of market conditions and material supply issues, identifying and mitigating supply risk and communicating any pertinent information to relevant internal and external
customers through proactive supplier communications.
• Stakeholder Engagement - advise and support stakeholders on business-related matters to maximize value from opportunities and supply arrangements.
• Contractual and Commercial Negotiations - where appropriate manage risks and value for money through effective negotiations and appropriate contractual relationships.
• Manage Treatt’s pricing system for designated product categories.
• Visit suppliers and customers where necessary and attend industry events as and when required which could involve international travel.
• Utilize all resources and systems available, including JDE, to maintain optimal levels of inventory and ensure continuity of supply.
• Provide education opportunities to internal stakeholders across all formats including presentations, regarding the portfolio of products to ensure product and market awareness through collation
of existing knowledge as well as provision of new information.
• Build and develop strong working relationships with suppliers and key stakeholders.
• Identify and qualify new suppliers to secure more cost-effective sources of supply and mitigate supply risks.
• Support and deliver procurement objectives, and proactively support the development of the procurement function.
• Act as a mentor and source of knowledge and expertise to Junior Buyers globally.
• Perform such other tasks as are consistent with the general role description and job title, which may be subject to change.
What we’re looking for
• Bachelor’s degree (business, supply chain or agricultural economics preferred)
• A minimum of 5 years Procurement experience in a complex buying role, or equivalent supply chain experience.
• Commercial mindset with a strong focus on providing the best possible service to our customers, both internal and external.
• Proven experience dealing with high value contracts and purchases.
• In depth understanding of supply & demand and market dynamics.
• Experience sourcing from a global supply base and international logistics.
• Strong technical knowledge relevant to respective categories and portfolio of products.
• Competent international traveler.
• Experience of working within the Flavor & Fragrance industry.
• A good understanding and experience of using systems in which we operate (JDE, EXCEL).
• Direct buying experience with a high volume of SKUs (greater than 300).
• Effective people management experience.
• CPM certification.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; vacation time as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation, we also offer a discretionary annual bonus, medical (including family cover), dental and vision coverage, AFLAC, 401k employer matching up to 6%, company-paid short term and long-term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance and stock purchase options.
With the encouragement and development, you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidized social events.
M/F/D/V EOE DFWP SO
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.