Job title: TRAINEE ANALYST
Reporting to: QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week
This role is an introductory level to the Quality Control Department, with a pathway to becoming a Quality Analyst over a one-year period. The objective over the initial 3 months is to gain an introduction to good laboratory practice, how the department operates and how QC interact and influence other departments with Treatt. Over the following 6 months the delegate will undergo training in classical wet analysis techniques to perform analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials that pass through the laboratory. The final 3 months will centre around gaining an understanding of instrumental techniques for analysis to ensure that any material that enters or leaves the site is fit for purpose.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Quality Analyst
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Baczewska, Applications Technologist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley Dennis, Manufacturing Support Analyst
What you’ll be doing
• Carrying out initial reviews on all samples coming into the laboratory, bulk, split and distribute to the relevant areas/lab personnel
• Preparing reagents and standards for routine and non-routine analysis
• Washing up glassware both in the wet lab and the flavour room
• Ensuring that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition
• Undergoing training to offer support in maintaining chemical and consumables inventory for the QC laboratory and purchase items necessary for routine and non-routine analysis. In addition, corresponding with other areas of technical for ordering following the group strategy for chemical purchasing
• Raising returns samples for testing in the laboratory to assess if the material is suitable to return to stock
• Maintaining QC retained sample library for organoleptic evaluation and tastings, along with retained pre-delivery samples
• Undergo training to support arranging for the disposal of hazardous waste from the site by corresponding with the Facilities Manager
• Understand and support the operation of 5S working within the laboratory
• Measure physical parameters of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources, which includes but is not exclusive to density, refractive index, optical rotation, melting points and flash points
• Perform classical analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments and external sources (e.g. peroxide values, acid values, ester values, UV spectroscopy, Infrared Analysis)
• Perform general essential oil analysis but with further tests specific to the substance under analysis.
• Participate in organoleptic evaluation of the products, as necessary
• Prepare tasting solutions and arrange for a representative number of individuals to carry out analysis
• Carry out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory
• When necessary arrange for analytical samples to be sent for external analysis and collate the results
• Carry out day to day laboratory checks and housekeeping tasks
• Contribution to continuous improvement in the Quality Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations)
• Carrying out HPLC analysis on citrus oils
• Undergoing training in GC-FID analysis of essential oils and aroma chemicals, including Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) analysis as and when applicable
• Undergo training in utilizing GCMS for identification of unknown compounds
• Gain an introduction to GCMS-MS utilized for agricultural residue analysis
What we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who has an aptitude to learn and demonstrate that they are able to work well within a team. The Quality Control Department is a fast paced environment, therefore dealing well with changing priorities is extremely important. Personal development is extremely important to Treatt, therefore individual goals and objectives will be outlined and discussed with your manager to ensure continuous learning and development in line with the role in question and departmental needs.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; bonus scheme; a generous holiday entitlement with the opportunity to purchase additional holiday.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.