Job title: QC Laboratory Analyst
Reporting to: Quality Team Leader - Classical
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: Full-Time (40 hours per week)
If you’re a completer finisher with a great eye for detail and an interest in chemistry this could be the ideal job for you.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt is a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Analytical Chemist
“Treatt is in that perfect sweet spot of being small enough to have a friendly and supportive community but also has the resources to have big ideas which really push the boat out in terms of creativity. There is real support for you as a person here and that’s what makes it such a great place to work. The fragrance and flavour industry and Treatt as a whole is magical!” – Barney Wells, QC Laboratory Assistant
What you’ll be doing
After training you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Measuring physical parameters such as density, refractive index, optical rotation, melting points, and flash points.
- Performing classical analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials originating from various departments (e.g. peroxide values, acid values and ester values)
- Perform instrumental analysis of flavour and fragrance raw materials and essential oils as well as manufactured products and compare results to standards. Tests include, (but are not exclusive to), GC, GC-MS, HPLC, UV and IR.
- Assist in maintaining chemical Inventory for the QC laboratory and the purchasing of items necessary for routine and non-routine analysis. Liaising with other Technical departments following group strategy in chemical purchasing.
- Calibrating the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory
- Prepare reagents and standard for routine and non-routine analysis
- Arranging and participating in sensory panels, involving both odour and flavour.
What we're looking for
We are looking for someone who has a degree in science based discipline, experience of working within a laboratory environment would be a distinct advantage. You will have a genuine passion for what you do and want to work in an environment that celebrates progress, teamwork and dedication.
We want you to love your work and bring that energy to the job every day, no matter what the task. You’ll be someone who keeps up to date with the latest technologies and is always willing to share their knowledge with colleagues.
Our department is busy. We need someone who can run with the pack but also bring their own personality to their work.
You should be personable, friendly and supportive, acknowledging that you’ll get to work with colleagues from all seniority levels across all departments on a daily basis.
What we’ll do for you
We have a pretty impressive benefits package that’s designed to look after you and your career during your time with us. With everything from discretionary annual bonus; BUPA; pension scheme with 9% employer contribution; life assurance, group income protection, eye sight testing, free shares, as well as our mandatory training we also offer courses around personal development and wellbeing, we've got you covered.