Job title: DISTILLATION CONTROL ANALYST
Reporting to: DISTILLATION CONTROL TEAM LEADER
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Hours: 38 hours per week : 20.45 – 06.15, Monday – Thursday
The objective of this role is to monitor all distillation processes and advise where necessary. To keep all processes running smoothly by troubleshooting where needed and analysing all fractions in real time as well as being the technical guide for the distillation operators, this includes troubleshooting issues and advising process improvements where relevant. This role involves a static nightshift with the hours 20.45 – 06.15, Monday – Thursday nights.
What it’s like to work here
We’ve been making the world taste better since 1886 and sell over 3000 products in more than 90 countries, but we’re only just getting started. We’re on an exciting journey and have ambitious plans to become the indispensable partner of choice for the world’s leading flavour and fragrance houses, beverage and consumer brands.
On joining Treatt, you’ll become one of over 300 international experts, working together to collectively surprise and delight our customers. Nothing is more important to us than the happiness of our people as without them, we’d never succeed.
We think Treatt’s a great place to work, but don’t just take our word for it:
“Everyone wants your feedback and opinion; it feels like a place of study where nurturing and encouragement are the standard. It is very clear the hard work that goes into providing excellence for customers, but it is also very apparent that managers have the same goals for helping us all to progress.” – Anita Cooper, Quality Analyst
“Treatt offers the opportunity to work with a team of fantastic people on a range of interesting and innovative products” – Magdalena Baczewska, Applications Technologist
“Joining my close and supportive team was the most enjoyable way to gain more skills and increase my knowledge” – Ashley Dennis, Manufacturing Support Analyst
What you’ll be doing
• Carrying out process control analysis on distillation fractions (including GC and physical measurements) and supply production with bulking instructions.
• Monitoring production distillations and give technical advice as the distillations proceed including a dedicated and ‘rapid response’ GC analysis of the fractions
• Researching distillation records and GC/wet analysis results of manufactured products to help solve problems and identify trends
• Investigating the suitability of raw materials for their proposed purpose before a distillation has started to avoid unforeseen problems during a distillation; with a view to setting raw material guidelines/specifications
• Performing project work to focus on efficiencies, new products and processes
• Troubleshooting issues and problem solve within all aspects of the role.
• Independently analysing materials using predominantly Gas Chromatography, HPLC, odour analysis, refractive index, optical rotation and density.
• Carrying out regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments as prescribed by the working practices in the laboratory.
• Making up trial blends from stock, test against the specification, adjust where necessary and make final recommendations on finished bulks to the bulking and planning department.
• Ensuring that the working area in the laboratory is maintained in a clean and orderly condition and that any hazard or potential hazard is reported to the Process Control Manager.
• Contributing to continuous improvement in the Process Control Department (e.g. suggestions on improvements in efficiency, cost cutting, improvements in effectiveness of operations).
What we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who has a degree in a science-based discipline or chemical engineering and wants to work in an environment that celebrates progress, teamwork and dedication. Candidates with experience without a degree will also be considered. Prior knowledge of distillation is favourable.
What we’ll do for you
We offer an excellent package which includes a competitive salary; bonus scheme; a generous holiday entitlement with the opportunity to purchase additional holiday.
With the encouragement and development you need, we help you to become your ultimate you. Beyond building a successful career, we also support the wishes and ambitions of our staff outside of the office in achieving a health work/life balance - the wellbeing of our staff is paramount to us, which we actively promote and support by regularly delivering a variety of wellbeing initiatives and offering responsibility based flexibility. There will also be opportunities to be actively involved in community and charity projects and to take part in numerous subsidised social events.
We politely request that we are not contacted by any recruitment agencies. We have a preferred supplier list and high volumes of speculative calls from agencies negatively impact upon the efficiency of our business. Please help us to maintain the highest levels of customer service by respecting our wishes.